Re: tech help needed

To: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tech help needed
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:23:01 -0600
At 08:14 PM 11/27/2000 -0500, Jack Emery wrote:
>Does anyone know how to adjust the reverse band on an Austin America/MG
1100??  I have a pile of manuals but none delve that deep.

Yup.  I used to have a 1969 Austun America with automatic (unfortunately),
second in recall notices only the the TR7.  I think the MG 1100 (fancy the
name) were all 1100's (at least in the US) and the Austin America were all
1275 engines (this model exclusive to North America I think).

Anyway, you just remove the tranny front cover, locate the band in
question, and turn the adjusting screw to lengthen the pushrod that
actuates the band to take up the clearance.  If you over do it the drum
won't turn, so you then back it off until the drum does turn freely inside
the band, and you're done.  Just about like adjusting brake shoes, but
inside out.  Put the cover back on with a new gasket or fresh sealer, top
off the oil, and away you go.  But you can only do that adjustment about
once.  The second time it gets loose the friction lining will be completely
worn off, and you will have to disassemble the gearbox to replace the brake
band.

By the way, aside from the weak execution of the construction of bands and
the forward clutch, I seem to recall that the other mechanicals inside were
quite durable.  And the speed reducer design is quite interresting, looking
like two large bevel gear differential units, one inside of the other.
This gearbox has two clutches and three bands, yielding 4-speeds forward
and one in reverse.  It also has a hydraulic control box that yields fully
automatic shifting through all four gears, or can be shifted manually
through all four gears, including down shifting.  In later years, by
government mandate, the 1st gear selector position was eliminated when a
"park" position was added.  I figured out once that with the addition of
one more clutch and one more band it could be made to yield six speeds
forward and two in reverse with no additional gearing.  Maybe someone
should review this possibility for the modern world. ..... (Nah!)

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg