Re: Clutch Bleeding

To: kwaringa@dynsys.com, wcameyer@email.msn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Bleeding
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:12:38 EST
In a message dated 11/29/00 1:34:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwaringa@dynsys.com writes:

> Bleeding it was a royal pain in the a**.  What I do is get a long piece of
> rubber tubing.  Place one end over the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder
> and place the other end in the master cylinder.  Then you pump, and pump,
> and pump, and pump and when you think  you have it right pump some more.  I
> did finally get it bleed, but it sure took a lot of pumping.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Most books recommend not recirculating the brake fluid.  The problem is that
you add very small bubbles of air as you pump.  If you put that air back into
the MC, you have much more bleeding to do.  Brake fluid is thick enough that
it takes a while for the air to rise to the surface.  (This is even worse
with silicone brake fluid, but we won't go there.)

It is better to immerse the end of the tubing in a bottle with some brake
fluid in it, then pump and add fresh brake fluid from a new bottle.  Bleeding
will be faster and better that way.  BTW, the correct procedure is: open
bleed screw, pedal down, close bleed screw, pedal up, repeat.  And DO NOT let
the fluid level in the MC drop below the intake opening or you have to start
all over again.

I think I got that right!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward