Re: digital pictures

To: dcouncil@imt.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: digital pictures
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:47:24 EST
In a message dated 12/10/00 6:40:24 PM !!!First Boot!!!, dcouncil@imt.net
writes:

> Well, to make a long story short, my question is what you guys use for
> digital cameras? Will a 1.3 megapixel resolution be sufficient for good
> quality desktop, 8 x 10 and 1280 X 960 pictures? And was this the specs on
> the digital camera used at the Colorado Conclave (Larry or Andrew?)? I'm
> ready to go to digital and I want to buy a reasonably priced camera, just
> need to know what works for some of you out there.

David:

       I have an Olympus D-400 that I bought 1 1/2 years ago (20 in digital
years). It's a 1.3 megapixel unit. In my humble opinion it blows up to 8X10
as well as 35mm film (unless you're talking about Kodachrome). One thing you
don't hear much about is the quality of small prints. Below about 5X7 the
quality of the print is limited by the printer, not the camera. The dot size
the printer uses to make the picture is the same whether you're making an
8X10 or a wallet size. The wallet size will look very grainy because you view
it closer. Use a 1200 dpi or better printer for small prints. LBC content? I
see a lot of cameras at British car shows.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - NAMGBR #7-3336