Re: DPO inovation

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: DPO inovation
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:59:51 -0800
I would have been the DPO if the old SAAB my son and I put an amp and
bass speaker in hadn't been totaled.  That spared someone from ending up
with it!

I ran a 10 gauge wire from the speaker to the alternator but fused it at
the speaker instead of the supply side (like an idiot).  The wire was
pinched by the first person to sit in the back seat, the large wire from
the alternator  to the starter was in a fairly large wire bundle, and
this was the current track from the battery.  This little wiring
shortcut of mine caused the bundle to melt together and short out
everything.  Always hook up high power stuff like this directly to the
battery and fuse it there.

I was actually able to unwrap this bundle, separate the melted wires
where they had shorted out, and wrap everything up with black tape.  The
car ran for another two years without a problem, but what a mess the
wiring was.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT