Shifting problem

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>, Midgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shifting problem
From: SueCallaham <wadleigh@syix.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:17:23 -0800
Is everyone ready for the next challenge?  Grrrrr....

Now that my Midget is running (and quite well I might add) and I've
decided to hold off on the
wire wheels (at least for the time being).  Instead, the Prince has
raised his wand, wiggled his
nose, and created a new challenge for me.  So once again, I need the
help of our experts (all of
you out there who've already gotten to that level in the Lucas saga).

Being the conscientous LBC lover, I did the usual lube and fluid check
before winter (without
snow) set in here (about a month ago).  Topped off the fluids, greased
where needed and all that good stuff.

Since then, first gear has developed an attitude and a mind of its own.
(First gear with an
attitude?  Sounds like my kids!)  Sometimes I can't get out of first
gear now.  This never
happened before I topped off the gearbox.  And it doesn't always happen
even now.  Only if I've driven the car for any length of time (30-60
minutes of driving).  It acts like it's been glued in position --- with
a little gentle wiggling (of the shifter of course), first will let go
and I can go to the other gears without difficulty.  None of the others
do this.  And first doesn't do it on a short run or when the car is
cool.

Any suggestions????  Thanks again!

Sue
'74 Midget (the challenge)