Re: Home made penetrant

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Home made penetrant
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:33:55 -0800 (PST)
Those not wanting to mix their own automotive
cocktails in the garage, may wish to try Kroil. It
makes rusty exhaust manifold studs come out finger
tight, no joke. I don't know where to get it; surf the
web. It's $25/gallon, tho, so I might try the ATF gig
if/when I run out ( a gallon lasts a long time).

jon

--- Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net> wrote:
> Automatic transmission fluid has alot of detergents
> in it
> along with
> other "stuff" to make it slippery, resist heat, with
> stand
> high loads
> and other important factors.  Acetone is a very good
> solvent
> in that
> it will creep into the smallest of cavities.  Mixed
> together
> the
> acetone will carry the ATF into the rusted fastener
> and the
> ATF will
> do the rest.  Turbine engine oil also works very
> well, too,
> without
> the use of a solvent.  You could use toulene or
> methel ethel
> ketone.
> Toulene would not work as well as it is not as good
> solvent as the
> other two.  If you use either solvent (acetone or
> MEK) be
> sure to use
> rubber gloves as they will penetrate the skin and
> carry the
> ATF with
> it into your body along with any other contaminates.
>
> Zandor
> zandor@nvc.com

=====
77 MGB "Christine" slowly but surely healing:
before: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1294999&a=9971270
after: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1294999&a=9971291
58 Willys CJ-3B http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Paulsen.html
:O Al Gore is a chad molester :O