Shift problem solved!

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shift problem solved!
From: SueCallaham <wadleigh@syix.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:57:27 -0800
Hi All!

First, thanks to all of you who have offered me advice on my shifting
problem.  And second,
NONE of us were right about the cause/solution !!  Refer to  "The Lucas
Theorum".

Today I got off work, warmed up the car and began to leave.  Put the
shifter into reverse and it felt REALLY bad ..... like someone had put a
rubber bumper at the end of the shifting range and wouldn't let the
shifter all the way into gear ... felt really mushy.  Took it out and
then put it back into reverse again .. same feeling.  Backed the car out
anyway without a problem, put it into first and drove off.  Jumped out
of first after about ten feet!  YUCK.  Second, third felt okay, fourth
had the same mushy rubbery feeling reverse had.  I was sweating by then
... would it get me home?

Two blocks away, stop sign.  Into first, turn the corner, pop out of
first again.  Oh no.  Still second and third feel okay, fourth mushy.
Four blocks, left turn, downshift, no prob!  Another five blocks, stop
light, first gear.  Popped out of first before I had crossed the
intersection.  (Luckily this is a very small town.)  Still 12 miles from
home.  Into second, third and fourth, which all of a sudden doesn't feel
quite as mushy as it had so far.  Anyone have an idea what's coming???
Five miles later, still in fourth, slowed to make a left turn, began to
downshift into third for the turn.  Speed change bar (shift handle) fell
off in my hand, still inside the gaiter, but not connected to anything.
Never got it out of fourth!  Since I was in fourth, kept going, but
worked on getting the gaiter off while going (country road by now).  Low
and behold, once the gaiter was free .... a shift knob attached to a
curved steel rod, attached to the air around it!!

Got into the town I live in, downshifted quite easily using what was
left of the lever ... had a
complete range from fourth to neutral to third of about 1/2 inch!!  But
it shifted like a brand new unit would!  Now all I have to do is replace
the shifter bar itself and it's all good to go!  Anyone ever heard of
the piece coming apart like that?  From all the books I've looked at,
it's supposed to be a one piece unit (except for the knob itself).
Looking through Moss' catalog, the piece I have isn't even the one for
the 1275, but is the one for the 1500.  Apparently some prior owner had
no clue what he/she was doing!

So, once again The Lucas Theorum is proven correct.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sue
'74 Midget
'65 Midget