Re: list nazi replies/exhaust leak

To: aaronw@wsu.edu
Subject: Re: list nazi replies/exhaust leak
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:33:48 -0500
snip
clip
carve

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:37:03 -0800 (PST) Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
writes:
  The manifold to pipe leak can be nothing more significant that a burned
away carbon ring (moss #290-510 -gasket, exhaust flange).
  Loosen the rear exhaust pipe mount, remove the center mount, loosen or
remove the strap to the gearbox. Then, with 12 or 18 inch extensions on
your socket wrench you can reach the brass nuts to lower the pipe.
  When I installed a Falcon SS system recently, the Moss rings did not
seal tight. I believe that it was because the Falcon flange was slightly
farther from the connection than on the original pipe.  A second set of
moss rings was same size as the first set (and same size as the original
rings), and leaked.  NAPA has a ring that is about 3/32 inch thicker, and
that sealed the pipes properly.
Bob