Snow orphan MGA parts, cheaper

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Snow orphan MGA parts, cheaper
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:33:58 -0600
Bad news and good news.  The orphan MGA turns out to have a main body shell
made largely of air, the type commonly found in Swiss Cheese.  It was
dipped and etched about four years ago (obviously swiss cheese then) and
has since been sitting in an unheated damp garage with dirt floor.  As
such, most of the surface is brown with surface rust and would need
sandblasting oe etching again.  It has a (decent) front clip patched in
with a rather ugly welding job and at least a little deformed around the
welds.  Hinge posts are mostly in tact, but sills and latch posts are
completely gone.  Virtually every panel has holes, boot floor is nearly
gone, kick walls are perferorated in the lower half.  As there seems to be
nothing unusual about this particular car, I would judge this shell to be
beyond economic repair (gross understatement).

The rest of the stuff seems to be in much better condition.  Starting with
the worst of it, the rear fenders need the lower 6 inches of the doglegs
replaced.  The front fenders have pinholes in in the lower 6 inches.  Still
in paint and in reasonably good condition are the bonnet, the deck lid, and
two doors.  Left side door has a small dent midway just below the
waistline.  The 6 splash panels are in primer and look to be in good
condition, surprise!  There is a steel front valance which is stripped with
slight surface rust, but otherwise in very good condition.  Fuel tank is
still in original dirt and rust coating, but appears to be solid.

The frame has had some repair work done and is currently in primer.  It
looks good, although I didn't get a thorough enough inspection to tell if
it had all of the floor board support rails, weld nuts, etc.  Front frame
extension and outrigger brackets are in very good condition and in primer.

Rear axle is partly disassembled, carrier still in one piece, housing and
other exteernal parts in primer.  Leaf springs are disassembled, I suspect
all of those parts are still there, but didn't have time to account for
all.  Looks like all of the chassis parts are there (but didn't count
everything), much of that in primer.  Steel wheels look very good in
primer.  After review of pictures I get at least the illusion the at one of
them may be NOS with supplier's part nember stamped on the inside of the
rim.  Brake parts are there includinr front calipers and rotors.

1600 gearbox is there and still in one piece. Engine is disassembled, one
cracked cylinder head present, one reworked (no lead) cylinder head and one
reworked block not currently present (in shop in Ohio with reported $240
bill owing).  Carburetors and intake manifold not present, possible
procureable from second previous owner, but skeptical.  Other engine parts
are probably there, but count and condition not checked.  Title is in
another state with previous owner, reportedly a few hundred dollars still
owing on the previous purchase, and not sure if there is sufficient
information to contact that person after the time lapse.

Dash panel is there.  No idea about condition of instruments after long
damp storage.  Seat assemblies are there, very rough exterior materials.  I
don't remember seeing the top frame, but I rather gave up in the cold by
that time, might be there somewhere, ditto for the side curtains, but
condition would probably be less than optimal.  Windshield assembly is
there, cracked glass.  In summary it does indeed appear to be a generally
complete car (less noted engine parts and carbs), as every part that I
actually searched for was found.

New parts that are there and part of the package deal:  One set 1600 +0.030
Hepolite 5-ring pistons with new Deves rings and another set of Hastings
rings.  Windscreen glass in shipping box.  Black carpet kit in shipping
box.  "Leatherette" (vinyl) seat upholstery kit in shipping box.  Vinyl
door panel kit in shipping box (dunno about door pockets).  Stainless steel
exhaust system in shipping box.  Probably some other smaller new parts as
well.

Bottom line is that the seller would let everything currently in his
posession go for $500 including all of the new parts, and may still be open
to further negotiation.  Intention is to have it sold and removed from the
garage ASAP, preferable within a few days.  I don't need the parts, and I'm
not in the parts business, and I don't want the bother.  If I was to move
it, everything would fit nicely in a 17 foot U-Haul van (just cancelled the
reservation), and the first stop after pickup would be some scrap yard to
dump the main body shell.  Location is in Wilmette, Illinois, just north of
Chicago.  Anyone interrested may contact me for seller's information, as it
wasn't clear if he wanted same publicised, although he is anxiously looking
for a buyer.

I do have some pictures that I expect to have on line later tonight.  Will
announce URL to the list as soon as they are up.  Questions welcome,
although I don't know I have any further information.

Tag, y'all it.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg