Coil ballast wiring

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil ballast wiring
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:10:08 -0800
I'm still wrestling with the weird problem that I'm having with my MG.
When it gets warm, under moderate load conditions the power will
"surge". Someone suggested checking to see if the distributor weights
were sticking, they seemed to be, so I cleaned and lubed them, but the
problem didn't go away.

The car is also a bit tough to start once it warms up. It takes a
while of cranking before it will "catch".

I'm running a petronix ignitor rather than points, so last night I
went through my box of dizzys and put together one with the best
parts, using regular points.

I've got a Mallory coil which needs a ballast resistor. How does the
resistor get wired in relation to the coil and distributor? Does it
make any difference whether it is an electronic or conventional points
distributor?

Also, I found a centrifugal advance distributor in the box. Is there
any advantage to running centrifugal advance on the street?

Is there an "ideal" amount of advance for the distributor? I noticed
that they were labeled anything from 10 to 18 degrees.

   Larry

--
Oscar Meyer complaint department, we take care of the wiener of your discontent.
lrc@red4est.com                                      http://www.red4est.com/lrc