TF 1500 Stuck in the snow!

To: MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TF 1500 Stuck in the snow!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:59:19 -0600
Yesterday I took my '54 TF 1500 RHD out and tried to spin doughnuts in
the snow in the field in front of my garage.  I know that some of you
might consider doing that to a T series MG to be sacrilegious, but I
figured that these cars were meant to be driven, it wouldn't hurt it
anyway and it would do the car good to have it's fluids warmed up!  It
looks like winter here.  We have had snow on the ground now for 2 1/2
weeks (more than in the last several winters combined) and it was 20
degrees  (F) and sunny yesterday.  The car started right up and I backed
it down the slight hill and out of the garage okay, but the first time I
tried to spin it, I realized that the snow was too deep (the bottom of
the car was dragging) and all I did was end up in the field downhill a
little from the grass driveway to the garage (which hadn't been plowed),
stuck with the engine dead (since the choke will not stay out on its
own).  The car started right up though and after some judicious driving
the car back and forth with second gear starts I got the car on the
grass driveway, through the gate and almost up the hill to the main (and
plowed) driveway.  I then had to back the car as quickly as I could,
down the hill, through the gate and up the hill to garage so I could get
a better run to the main driveway (all without hitting the gate).  I
then got a better run at the main driveway and made it to the house
(without hitting the gate).  I then got out the tractor (a '56 Farmall
450) and plowed the driveway to the garage and put the car safely to
bed. Here is a link to a picture of the car sitting in the snow by the
house:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/54_TF_in_Snow.jpg  It
was all kind of fun though anyway, I've always enjoyed driving MGs (MGBs
mostly) in the snow. I would have taken the car out on the highway but I
discovered that all my brake fluid has leaked out of the master
cylinder.  I used to drive my '71 MGB all winter long in the Black Hills
of western South Dakota and even ice raced it on occasion.  Take care
all and Happy New Year!

Kevin Brown  '54 MG TF 1500 RHD, '78 MGB V8, '71 MGB, '66 MGB, '74 TR6
Odessa, Missouri