Re: Abingdon?

To: Steve & Bonnie Sidwell <porsche.com@home.com>
Subject: Re: Abingdon?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:00:30 -0500
Steve & Bonnie Sidwell wrote:

> I may have even misspelled the name - but - could anyone tell me if
> Abingdon is a worthwhile side-trip, and if so the general location in
> England?  We have sort of stumbled into a UK trip in February (primarily
> Scotland and Ireland), but we're flying into London...and I believe
> Abingdon is somewhere in this vicinity?

  If you are doing the tour of that area, Abingdon is a worthwhile
side trip if it's on your way.

  I warned my wife when we were going through it that we
might be looking at a brick wall that used to be a part
of the factory, and then moving on. But there were actually
a few things to see.

  The key is to go when the club office is open. The office
is beside the old factory site, and they have some goodies
to look at. As well, they have a brochure that lists some
of the places to see in Abingdon, like buildings that
still exist, pubs, and so on.

  As well, they show the test route that all MGs were put
on as they came out of the factory, it's a short route
out of abingdon and back. We did it in our rental car. ;>

  I have some pictures of my trip, the abingdon stuff
starts here:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/europe/europe_pic_155.html

  So in summary there isn't a lot to see, but if you
are out in the midlands anyways to see Gaydon and
the other essentials, it can be put on your route. Most
of the good car stuff is only 1-2 hours from London
by car. (heading west)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca