Lock "cleanout" worked!

Subject: Lock "cleanout" worked!
From: Steve & Bonnie Sidwell <porsche.com@home.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 23:00:58 -0800
Just a quick note to say thanks for all the response I received on my
query about my "sticking" ignition lock.  I was all set to replace it
(drill out the retaining bolts and the whole deal), when I received a
suggestion to try and clean out the lock with Trichloroethane (a serious
de-greasing agent).  Luckily, I has access to some at work.  Also was
able to inject the stuff into the lock using a syringe and needle.

As one reply indicated "locks are designed to work "dry", without any
sort of lubricant.  It took a fair amount of patience, inserting,
re-inserting and re-cleaning the key, but I'd say the situation is now
about 80% improved!  The key is still coming out clean (Hooray!) - a
major step forward from having to carry a Kleenex in my pocket to deal
with a grey/oily key!  OK, OK...even if this *was* supposed to be part
of an LBC's "character", this is one element I'll sacrifice..!

Thanks again ladies and gents,

Steve in Santa Barbara (72 and sunny today, December 30th)...wonder if
this has anything to do with the median house price of $575,000?)
'78 MGB (w/clean lock!)