RE: Engine Dies - V8 - Update

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Dies - V8 - Update
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:20:46 -0000
Hi all,

Drove the V8 into the City this morning for a test and the same fault
reoccured, engine starts to stumble, misfires, idle lowers until she quits.
Very difficult to restart (when starter works) with a strong fuel smell
present. Bear in mind I have no tools just yet, will get some on Saturday as
have just moved to Ireland.

I am almost certain now the problem is carb flooding. On the way home
tonight when the problem reoccured, I swapped out the Coil (tied the new one
to the radiator mount <G>) - no change, the Rotor - no change, the cap - no
change, the plug leads - no change. Unfortunately I don't have even a spark
plug remover to check the plugs, but the sound of the car really does seem
to indicate flooding. I spoke to the PO tonight and he suggested it, perhaps
there is something stuck under the needle valves preventing them from
closing. The sound of the pump continuing to pump should have rung a bell,
but all the chat on the lists re: electronic pumps continuing to tick kind
of threw me. A shop in Edinburgh changed the SU to some Electronic type
under suspicion the SU was failing. Huh! <G>

Anyway, I will pull the rubber overflow extension lines and look for
flooding on the weekend when I am in a position to do something about
cleaning out the carbies. It should be pretty obvious, not to mention
looking at the plugs. I guess it could also be something sitting above the
fuel filter, or in the jet lines etc, so will check everything from the
filter up.

Thanks for everyones help so far, any more ideas greatly appreciated! :) I
LOVE this car BTW - you gotta try a Factory V8!!! Immediate sheer Grunt AND
handling! I really couldn't be happier even with this little bug pestering
me right now. :)

Cheers,
Neil