fulcrum pin problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: fulcrum pin problems
From: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:27:19 -0500
Hello,
I just destroyed a brand new fulcrum pin while trying to install it on my 72
MGB.  I'm referring to the bolt that holds the top of the kingpin assembly
to the lever arm of the shock absorber.  Has anyone else had trouble with
these things?  The first time I tried this, I was using the new pin with an
old castle nut.  While trying to tighten far enought to get the cotter pin
in, the nut sort of melted against the shock arm. This time, with a new nut
and the previous new pin, the threads simply gave way with several turns to
go to fully expose the hole.  I'm going to go ahead and order another, any
recomendations on where to get one that is stronger?
Any comments appreciated,
-Dan
'72 MGB
'88 Jaguar XJ6

anxious to get the B back on the road...