Re: Carb Problem?

To: "Tom Bott" <tcbump@leading.net>, "MG NET" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Problem?
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:06:24 -0500
You're just trying to 'pre-oil' the cylinder walls and rings a bit
before you crank it up after sitting so long.  10-15 cc should be
 more than enough. Any engine oil will work, it will just foul
the plugs slightly... maybe making it just a bit harder to fire
the first time. Shoot it in, turn it over by hand a bit just to
lube the walls. then... with the ign. coil HT lead disconnected,
crank it over a few revs to get oil pressure first. Then hook up the HT
lead and fire it up.

As far as the revs go ....  check and see if your fuel filter or a badly
deteriorated fuel hose (collapses internally) is limiting fuel flow.
Also check static timing.  With an electric pump, disconnect the
fuel line from the carbs and add a 3-4 foot section of hose.
Stick the hose in a gallon size container. Turn on the elec pump.
You should be able to fill the gallon container in under 5-7 minutes.
If much longer... either the fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel
or a hose is collapsed, or the filter is clogged or something
along those lines.

YMMV   Good luck

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com