distributor advance line

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: distributor advance line
From: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:46:20 -0500
Thanks to all for the help with my various hose questions.  While resolving
those issues and looking around, I discovered that the vacuum line from the
carb to the distributor had fallen onto something hot and melted, leaving
the hose exposed to the atmosphere.  I patched with new vac. hose and
reattached.  I have very limited knowledge of carburettors or distributors,
so could someone be so kind as to explain to me what this means.  What was
this condition impeding before and what should be different with it fixed?
Between the MG and the Jag, I learn something new every day!
-Dan
'72 MGB
88 XJ6