Re: timing quandry (was engine not cranking)

To: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing quandry (was engine not cranking)
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:45:14 -0800
Jason,

Since I don't remember from your original post what kind of MG you have, I'm
assuming that you have one with a 2-piece crank pulley. These serve as a
vibration dampener as well, having the outer ring bonded to the inner via a
rubber insert. Over time, the vulcanization can break down, resulting in the
outer ring slowly moving relative to the inner, with the result that the
timing mark is no longer where it should be.

The short term solution is to bring numbers one and four pistons to the top
of their stroke (viewed through the spark plug hole and confirmed by resting
a small screwdriver on the piston crown and feeling for the top-most
position). Then mark the edge of the crank pulley with a new mark against
the TDC pointer on the timing cover. Now you can re-time your distributor to
fire when number one is at TDC and the two rocker arms for number one
cylinder are not in contact with their valve stems.

The long term solution is to buy a new crank pulley, as the one that has
already moved will probably continue to do so.

New valve cover gasket? Yes, if the old one breaks when you remove the valve
cover or if it excessively crushed or brittle. They're not exactly expensive
so you should always have a spare handy if you're planning to remove the
valve cover.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center