Re: Seting pinion and crownwheel

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seting pinion and crownwheel
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:18:49 -0800 (PST)
--- Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net> wrote:
> How does one check to see if the meshing of the
> pinion and crownwheel are set correctly?
>
> I have two 3.9:1 early style gear sets in their
> carriers on my work bench.  If I keep the pinion
> stationary and move the crownwheel
> one will move .011" the other .007".  The one with
> the least movement was "rebuilt" (I don't know if
> that means by a professional or
> the previous owner).  The one with the .011"
> movement came out of the car.  Frankly I don't know
> if this tells any one anything
> other than one is different than the other.
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Larry Hoy
larry,
     i believe the spec for end play is .005 to .007
there.  i know(boy do i ever) that if it gets to about
.012 to .015 there will be a click on deaccelleration
for a while and then the spider gears go south..taking
the crown and pinion with it..if one is running fast,
the rear wheels stop turning...
     try to shim the .011 carrier down a few thou.
yours, Howard
1976 B roadster
1977 B-GT(without your 215 c.i. buick..darn it..lol
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/