MGB Speedos and Serial Numbers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Speedos and Serial Numbers
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:50:11 -0500
I have follwed with interest the questions regarding proper speedometers
for different models of MGB's. A while back, another lister sent me a web
site address of an MGB enthusiast who had documented the proper speedos
and serial numbers for many MGB's on his personal web site. He had a
fairly complete list, including serial numbers for both OD and non-OD
cars. Does anyone on the list have this address? Can you share it with
the list?

Also, I have a unique problem in getting an accurate speedo. My engine is
an 18GB from a 1964 car. My car is a 66 based on car number. I do not
know which model my gearbox (3-synchro) came from. Is there a method of
determining vintage of the gearbox? Are all 3-synchro gearboxes the same?

Incidentally, the early B's (pre 1965) apparently all had Jaegar speedos
and Jaegar mechanical tachometers.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB
'72 BGT