Re: [Summary] Run-In Oil??

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Summary] Run-In Oil??
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:14:33 -0800 (PST)
Somewhat related - in May of 2000 I went to a local GM assembly plant
(Linden, NJ) with one of my son's Cub Scout Dens. At Linden, they assemble
GMC Jimmy SUVs and Sonoma small pick-ups. It was a pretty amazing process
overall. However, at the end of the line, when they start the trucks for
the very first time, here is what they do:

1) Rev the crap out of the engine immediately after starting it.
2) Accelerate quickly over a series of off-set bumps in a strip about 25
feet long.
3) Slam on the brakes at the end of this 25 foot segment. The car is then
driven to an exit area (assuming nothing falls off).

I was totally shocked process. Given that the car has been assembled for a
total of maybe 2 minutes - to rev the engine and then slam on the brakes
for their first application - I thought, if this is the normal routine for
all cars, why am I wasting my time breaking in the engine for 500 miles
and bedding the brakes properly?!

If you ever have the chance to take a tour of an assembly facility, do it!
It is a completely fascinating experience. Especially when you see workers
assembling the cars with cigarettes hanging from their mouths! I was also
somewhat surprised at the amount of hand assembly still done. I expected
all of the robotics but was surprised to see things like the seats and
exterior badging and stickers put in/on by hand.

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
'76 MGB Tourer - Brooklands Green - My Driver!
'66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer - faded Tartan Red - My Project!
NAMGBR #5-2328
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/