Re: Replacement shocks for tube shock conversion

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement shocks for tube shock conversion
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@vniles.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:24:59 -0600
One additional word...
My 1974 CB MGB Came to me with a tube shock conversion installed. I tried to
read the numbers off of them for you, but they were no longer legible. They
also weren't the gas-charged units.
On the other hand, when I got my B running I had a problem with the shocks
bottoming out whenever I hit a bump of any significance. Eventually I found
that the lower shock mount that attaches to the u-bolts is not symetrical.
Some ingenious engineer figured out that he could make one kit that would
use all the same parts including shocks for both chrome bumper and rubber
bumper models. Turns out that the dpo who installed it didn't read the
directions and installed it in what looked like the logical way. As soon as
I reversed the pads from one side to the other my problem disappeared.
David Lieb