Cylinder Heads & Valve Train

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Heads & Valve Train
From: "John DiFede" <JDIFEDE@cablevision.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:15:31 -0500
Thanks to all who responded to my question about my early cylinder head and
later pushrods and tappets.  I will continue to use this setup with my new cam.
 And yes I am installing NEW short tappets with the new cam.

One last question concerning the difference between early and later heads.  Why
did the 18V engine need the notch cut in the block?  Wasn't this necessitated
by the difference in the cylinder head thickness?

I intend to port and polish the head and intake manifold  before I reinstall
it.  I've read the Power Tuning MG Engines book and the recent John Twist
article in the MG Driver.  My question is how does the list feel about the
three angle valve seats that are recommended for the ultimate in increased air
flow.  Are they really necessary? How much of a  power increase do they
provide?  And how durable are they? Any suggestions, advice , experience ?

John Di Fede
73 MGB
72 MGB