Re: Spit v. Midget

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit v. Midget
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:00:50 -0800
Funny you should ask that. In 1976 Road & Track did a 6-car comparison test
featuring the Midget, Spitfire, TR7, MGB, Fiat 124 Spider and X1/9. In the
subjective rankings the Midget placed 6th and the Spitfire 5th.

Subjective totals:
X1/9    1371 (out of 1600)
TR7  1247
124     1214
B       940
Spit    920
Midget  761 (ouch)

[Personal aside: In mitigation of these results, in reading tests of this
period I get a strong impression that the writers were fascinated with
mechanical novelty (IRS, FI, and mid-engines, particularly) and tended to
underrate the older designs with which they were long familiar. From our
vantage point today the innovations which obsessed them in the 70s are old
hat, and we have a much greater appreciation for the "old world" virtues of
heritage and character. And the minor differences in measurable performance
are irrelevant in the context of 30-year-old vehicles.]

Performance stats:
               Spit        Midget
0-30         4.8        4.8 sec
0-60        15.3        15.5
1/4mi.     20.2        20.1
Top sp.     94         83 mph
MPG            25          29
60mph stop  167         189 ft
% fade/6 stops  10      97
Cornering       0.731       0.737 g
Slalom          58.1            50.1 mph

Specific comments:

Spitfire -- Two 3rd place votes as personal favorite. Best placing: 2nd in
braking. Worst in instrumentation, ventilation, ease of use/top, and body
structure. Tester quotes: "The handling is damned impressive". "The
suspension, steering, ride, and roadholding are much better than I
expected". "It's a surprisingly good car." Hood shake, chassis flex, rough
road steering feedback. Engine peppy, but rough above 5000rpm. Seats
unsupportive. Much roomier interior than Midget.

Midget -- No scores higher than 5th. Last place in 13 categories. Handling
"...interesting and entertaining." Excessive rear-wheel steering. Darty.
Steering quick but numb. Hops about over minor road irregularities. Brake
control good, but fade and distances excessive. Similar performance to
Spitfire up to 70mph (uses same engine, but poorer aerodynamics, more
restricted breathing). Hopelessly cramped interior (seat travel, shoulder
room). Quote: "Anyone who would buy a Midget when the X1/9 was available for
only $1000 more would have to be a complete masochist" (for comparison, the
Spitfire was only $196 more than the Midget).

There was also an amusing sidebar written by the legendary Henry N. Manney
III. He had a few choice words to add.

Spitfire: "...at the back felt fine, but at the front was early Allard" [I
assume that's not a compliment]

Midget: "...along some of the straight but bumpy roads ...the rear end hoist
to meet Fed bumper requirements didn't sit well with Midget rear suspension,
which was marginal anyway; it was easy to imagine oneself as Nuvolari in the
big Auto Union, sitting way up front with the back end steering him about.
However, the twisting pass up to Julian was more fun..."

Realistically, in terms of ownership today, I would think it would come down
to personal preferences for styling, marque loyalty, driving style, and most
importantly, body type. I have spent some time in both vehicles, and there
is an immense difference in cockpit space (as noted above); so much so that
I imagine that many persons would be physically incapable of driving a
Midget. At 6' 1", 165 lb., I find the Midget cockpit too confining for
effective driving-- knees bent at 90 degrees, spread wide to clear the
wheel, elbow and shoulder jammed against the high door, insufficient
footwell room to work the pedals. It' s fun, like a go-kart, for ten
minutes, then it's like a straitjacket. A Honda 600 microcar is a Cadillac
in comparison.

But then, all kinds of folks on this list swear by Midgets, so you will just
have to try one on and see. And don't let a 24-year-old road test sway you
too much -- there are a lot of aftermarket mods in common use today that can
greatly improve both vehicles.

Sorry for the length...

--

Max Heim