Re: MGA/MGB differential carrier

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA/MGB differential carrier
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:13:45 -0600
At 12:04 PM 1/28/2001 -0700, Larry Hoy wrote:
>Is the differential carrier (the piece the ring gear is bolted to) any
different in the MGA, vs the early MGB, vs the late MGB rear end?

>If it is different is it still interchangeable?

Early MGB banjo type axle carrier (even the entire pumpkin) is
interchangeable with the MGA, as long as you use the sun gears with the
correct splines to mate with the half shafts.  MGB tube type axle is a rear
loader, so pumpkin is a no go.  Pretty sure the later carrier won't fit the
MGA either, as the ring gear and those bolts are different.  Otherewise I
plead innocent on the tube axles.  Trust someone else more tham me.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg