Re: MGA brake pedal

To: larryhoy@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: MGA brake pedal
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:22:18 -0600
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:02:44 -0700 "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
writes:
> Is it just me/my car, or is the distance between the brake pedal and
> the trans tunnel a bit narrow on the MGA?
>
> I don't wear a large shoe, 9.5 to 10 (depending on if the shoe is
> genuine made in UK, or a cheap Taiwan reproduction).  I find the
> space quite narrow, in fact with most of my shoes I can't get my
> foot to the accelerator pedal without touching the brake pedal.
>
> Wasssup with that?
>
> Larry Hoy

I find I can't wear wider shoes (like hiking boots) when driving the MGA,
and I only wear a 8.5.  The closeness of the pedals is (IMHO) to
facilitate toe-heel downshifts.  However, the bloody rubber bit on the
throttle is so thick that the throttle tends to be on a different plane
than the brake, making toe-heel downshifts difficult.  I bought the Paddy
Hopkirk pedal attachment which makes it easier, but still not as easy as
the 74 1/2 MGB I drove once.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD