RE: Are Moss, B&G, MGOC parts equal in quality ?

To: "'Ricardo Sal Monteiro'" <ricardo@det.ua.pt>,
Subject: RE: Are Moss, B&G, MGOC parts equal in quality ?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:41:48 -0800
Ricardo:

        It is very difficult to keep track of who is making what.  Pricing
is not a very effective indicator, as many manufactured products are
purchased and then resold by competing companies.

        Company A manufactures a part and sells it for X on the retail
market.

        Company B buys the part from company A at a wholesale discount, then
sells it for Y.

        If Y is greater than X, you will buy the part from Company B for a
higher price than from Company A, but still get the same part.

        It gets really confusing when Y is less than X for a variety of
competitive reasons.

        The other problem is that supply changes so often.  Many times a
vendor will have to fill in with a lesser quality product, because the
primary supplier is out of stock.

        Your best bet is to work with a company that is in business for the
long run, is sensitive to quality issues, and offers a good return policy.

        If you receive a sub-standard product, send it back to the supplier
with a description of the problem.  Only that way is there a hope of keeping
quality issues a priority for the manufacturers.

Kelvin.