Re: seeking advice on MGB purchase

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seeking advice on MGB purchase
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:55:12 -0700
I am glad to see that a few listers say yes to saving this rust bucket.
Considering the stated condition, the price still seems a bit high and much
money will be needed just to get it running since an engine overhaul is
indicated. As one person said, it will only be worthwhile if you fix the
body first, otherwise you will never get your money out of the car.

Let me add my opinions on how to make this a good deal:

1. You go full bore and do the body first while the engine is removed. I'm
still not sure how much a unibody restoration will run but I'm seriously
thinking of having one done.  The 65 and earlier Bs are much in demand and
from watching Ebay, I am encouraged to see a good condition rust free CBB
can easily fetch between $6-10k. So a complete restoration if you have the
funds is probably not much of a loser at all.

2. Or if you are cheap like me, you fix up the mechanicals and drive the
hell out of the car, the hell with the appearance and rust. So long as you
buy the car to drive and not to sell, you will find the car to be
incredibly cheap buy if you keep it for at least five or more years. I
drove my well rusted 71 BGT for 17 years - bought it for $2000 (not a good
price), one engine overhaul, two transmission overhauls, various other
parts including three sets of 6 volt batteries. I probably had less than
$6000 overall in cost and parts total over those years and still got $2000
back from the insurance company after my son wrecked it. And that $4000
difference is less than a year or two depreciation on a new American car -
money gone into the wind.

David Councill