Cam Bearings, Cheap Engine Rebuild

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Bearings, Cheap Engine Rebuild
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:02:46 -0500
Hey All...

contemplating engine rebuild options on my '72 B's 18V motor (107k mi on
original bottom end- no oil usage, good pressure and compression). How hard
are the cam bearings to replace? How many of you budget builders have just
left them in place with a new or reground cam? Low dollar option I'm
thinking of is to skip machining, just ream the bore ridges out, hone, and
re-ring pistons and change bearings, cam, followers, etc, with a clean
block, of course. This all depends on how the tear-down measurements check
out. If the bore wear is excessive, it's off to the machine shop after all.
Is this false economy?

TIA, Larry

Warner Robins, GA