Re: Rear Leaf Springs

To: wcameyer@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Rear Leaf Springs
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:47:24 -0500
Bill,
   I believe that the 7 leaf spring arches differently because the RB
cars have the spring mounts closer together.
  I've been going through the replacment spring routine with my '72 GT.
It's been a hassle. Old flat springs (turns out that each had a broken
leaf, though in different places) were replaced with new springs from
Moss. I think all sellers actually get their springs from one or two
makers.  Rear of the car is way up.  I thought then to get lowering
blocks, thinking that I would lower the rear until the new springs sagged
a bit. Went to a spring shop for the blocks. Owner was a former MGA and
MGB owner. He had me lift the front bumper. It came up and inch easily,
then got hard.  Ah ha, said he.  He then lifted the front.  As he lifted
an inch, the rear settled an inch, the chrome side strips got level.  He
told me to buy new front coils, as they fatigue also, just not as
obviously.
  So now I have the new springs here at my desk, along with my rebuilt
swivel pin assemblies (while you're at this you might as well.....) and
will install them the first warm weekend that arrives.
Bob