Re: MG supercharger (long)

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG supercharger (long)
From: "Hans Pedersen" <hans@hi-flow.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:39:37 +1100
Hi Neil and Listers,

I have been following this discussion with much interest. Chat sessions
about performance modifications will draw me in every time!  As you are
aware Neil, performance is a passion with me, however because of the obvious
business interests I usually prefer to observe the MG list only.

Q: Does the vehicle warrant spending $'s to increase performance.

Supercharging a vehicle is very much at the owners discretion.
If the car is worth less than the supercharger, it would be a bad
investment. In fact, we prefer to see our quality products fitted to an
enthusiasts pride and joy.

Owners who appreciate quality and effortless driving pleasure will enjoy a
properly supercharged car. Only the owner can ascertain if by supercharging
their vehicle they are making a worthwhile investment in motoring enjoyment.

It's important for potential purchasers to remember that a supercharger is
not a cure for a sick engine.  Ideally, the engine must be within
manufacturers tolerance prior to any performance mod's in order to achieve a
happy, long lasting result.

Forced induction is not confined to fire breathing, temperamental beasts.
The majority of our kits have been fitted to street vehicles where the extra
power is used for safer overtaking, effortless cruising combined with an
ever present "eagerness" to perform with reliability.

RE: ENGINE WEAR & FUEL CONSUMPTION

Obviously if a car is driven hard continually, all mechanical components
tend to wear out faster, whether supercharged or not.

The increased torque and low down power provided by the supercharger
generally equates to using fewer engine revs for the majority of the time,
hence lower engine wear rates are possible.

If a supercharged 1800 motor is pressed to perform like a 3 Litre all the
time it will use fuel like a 3 Litre.

RE: HIGH REV'S

The B GT featured in the independent test link on our website was limited to
a max. 6300 rpm.  To achieve the 6.7 secs 0 - 60 mph 5800 rpm was used as
the limit.

Q: Once max. power is reached, why keep revving it?

A recent race installation 1275 cc engine produces at least 120 bhp at the
driving wheels and does so at 6750 rpm.

Hans J. Pedersen
HP High Performance Products
Victoria. Australia