Heater valve modification

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater valve modification
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:04:13 -0800
I finally got around to doing the modification to this valve that was
posted on the list awhile back, and the difference in heat is truly
amazing!

This is an easy modification, and can even be done without removing the
entire valve from the cylinder head in about 15-30 minutes (you drain
the cooling system, drill out the pop rivet and remove the top half of
the valve mechanism).  I did two valves, both fairly new, and added over
1/4" of SS #4 (five of them) washers to reposition the valve's closing
cap so it would fully open.  Before, both were opening only about 25% of
their possible range. Now it opens 100% and closes 100% as well.  This
is one of those minor things that make a major improvement that I wish I
knew about 30 years ago!

If anyone would be interested in posting this mod on their Web site for
the benefit of all, I'll take photos and write up the procedure.  At
least it will be of interest those of us in northern climes!

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT