Re: MGA trans mount

To: Gordon Bird <gordonbird@flashmail.com>
Subject: Re: MGA trans mount
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:04:14 -0700
First soak it with a good penetrating oil, or machining oil like "Tap Magic."
That may or may not help.  Heat it up with a torch, that will help - heat the
nut, try to keep the bolt cooler, but just any heat will help, of course, you
will then have to replace the rubber mount because it will melt/burn out.  Use a
pipe wrench - they get tighter as you pull on them, and they don't need any flat
surfaces.  This will obviously necessitate replacing the nut.  I did this on my
MGA not too far back and as I recall there isn't much clearance around this
area, so if you use a torch on it, be very careful around those wooden floors
and things.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA (with 1800 3 main engine)
'67 MGB - BRG with Wire Wheels and 3-synchro Overdrive
Various others