Re: 64B Tail lights stay on

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 64B Tail lights stay on
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:12:54 -0800
on 2/25/01 4:36 PM, Neil Cotty at neilc@apphosting.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Was helping a new friend today with his 64 Pull handle roadster. Nice car,
> in powder blue. Did a raft of things to the car.
>
> Found two very interesting, idiotic problems I thought I mention to the list
> for a good laugh!! First - An EGR valve line, normally connected to the
> crankcase breather plugged by a SPARK PLUG. (good grief) Then 9, count them,
> 9 big fat nuts used to space out the rear alternator mount. Sigh. What a
> mess. But the car is sound, and we got her running much, much better than
> before. So here are my questions. <G>
>
> On this 64, there is one bracket attached to the block but this bracket is
> miles away from where the starter should be. I am having trouble remembering
> from my A, but is there supposed to be another bracket attached as well, to
> the first?

Do you mean the generator or alternator? (as opposed to the starter). If the
car in fact has an alternator, as you originally said, it is probably much
shorter in the body than the factory-supplied generator was. This would
explain the problem. I found that repositioning the rear bracket to a
different set of holes pre-existing in the block worked for me. However, my
block is not original to the car, so these holes may not be tapped on your
block.

> Also, his tailights stay on. Where should I start looking there?

Someone made a good point about brake lights, except for the fact that the
switch in an early B is a pressure switch located in the brake line, not a
mechanical switch operated by the pedal lever. I suppose it is possible that
this switch could be faulty.

The lighting circuit is unfused and always hot, so you may have a short (but
you already knew that!).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149