Re: MGA Mark II - Identifying

To: "Kevin & Deana Brown" <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Mark II - Identifying
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:42:49 -0600
Hello Kevin & list,

The answer is yes. The MkII started at car number 100352 in March of 1961 (I
have number 100694). They built about 8,700 or so of them, according to
Clausager.

They all had the recessed grille (which will bolt into the 1500/1600 BTW)
and horizontal tail lights mounted below the boot lid, not on the wings as
on the 1500/1600. The first couple of thousand cars did not have the oil
cooler, but it was standard for the last year of production. The instrument
panel was covered in leatherette like the earlier 1500/1600 coupes. The
gearing was 4.1:1 as opposed to the earlier 4.3:1 ratio for the 1500/1600.

They can easily be titled 1961 or 1962. My car was built in April '61, but
was titled as a '62. To assure you are looking at the correct engine, check
the block (low on the carburetter side) for the cast legend : "1622."

Regards,

David F. Darby
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/mgz