Re: Chicago Driving

To: dbl@vniles.com
Subject: Re: Chicago Driving
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:43:01 -0500
In terms of regional styles, I like DC and Philly.

In DC, it helps to think of red lights as a game of chicken.  The first person
to stop is the loser.  Downtown at rush hour, 6 or 8  cars will go through a
red light before a loser is found...   Stopping on yellow?  You'd get laughed
out of town for that!

My favorite Philly move is the jumped left turn.  In intersections without left
turn lanes, a person who wants to turn left will start moving as early as
possible -- at the yellow light on the cross street, approximately.  This works
best when turning from a large street to a smaller street, when traffic on the
cross street isn't a big worry...

Matt