Re: SU Adjustments (SHORTER) was: Float Height Issue

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Adjustments (SHORTER) was: Float Height Issue
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:33:46 -0500
Max, methinks the float needle controls a potentially larger
volume flow rate than the carbs suck in, and somewhat more
continuously than the on/off step function you envision. Secondly,
some of the carb throat (or butterfly squeeze) vacuum must be used
to increase the potential energy of the fluid - i.e. the higher
you gotta lift the gas the more vacuum needed. Ergo, float level
has got to affect the mixture. Most manuals have very precise
specs and instructions to be precise. Also most carbs do not have
the SU mixture nuts, which if used to for compensate for wrong
float level at idle will then leave you out of spec mixture at mid
and full throttle.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug

Interestingly, most bike carbs have adjustable needle height
adjustment (4 or 5 grooves), for altitude and exhaust mods.