Electronic fuel pump and lines

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic fuel pump and lines
From: "Jon Lind" <dtjon@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:38:51 -0700
Howdy all.  I've been a bit of a lurker the last few months.  I finally got
my MG running yesterday for the first time in about 6 months.  After two new
SU fuel pumps in a row I decided to replace the SU with a $30 Purolator
"Electronic" from Pep-Boys.  The first failed immediately and the other I
couldn't get to work with the Weber carb and the messed up fuel and return
lines a previous owner had left me.

Anyway, the carb-side fuel line went on beautifully.  However, the gas tank
line was too long, and had a mangled bit just before the fuel pump, so I cut
the end off with a hack saw.  That was, perhaps, not exactly the smartest
thing I've ever done.  Anyway, after doing that (besides the fact that it's
a royal pain) I'm left with the steel braided line's braids a total mess,
and the interior line is chewed up and won't seal properly.

So, after that lengthy lead in, my question is, how do I plumb the fuel tank
line?  Can I get a standard gas hose with the gas tank fitting on it?  Can
someone make it for me?  Can I make it?  Do I need to get a stocker and a
special fitting to go to the stock one?  Heck, do I need to cut it, but with
a different technique or tool?

Signed, Smelling-like-gas-in-Colorado.