Rattly problem update

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rattly problem update
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:12:21 -0000
Yesterday I pulled off the alternator and managed to dig down to the broken
engine mount bracket. It is the bracket which is broken...the L shaped one
which goes from the end plate to the rubber blob. The other side looks
cracked too so I'll change them both. I may also renew the rubber bit while
I'm in there. I am not really sure where/how to jack under the engine to
lift it up so I can get the mounts out. I know I can't jack under the sump
like on the A series engine (sump=gearbox). I may try to borrow my mate's
hoist and lift it up from above. Any tips?

I'll phone up MGBhive or Brown&Gammond later and order the parts. Hopefully
won't cost too much.

I have also been thinking about the engine rebuild. Seeing as B series
engines are not as plentifull as A series ones I think I will have to pull
the engine and rebuild it rather than getting another engine, recon'ing it
and swapping them over.

Any ideas which parts usually need replacing? I was thinking along the lines
of pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump and possibly the timing chain and cam
followers. Any other bits which should be renewed while the engine is in
bits? What about the gearbox? Baulk rings? Roller bearings? Clutch plate
should be done I suppose. I'd like to get the whole job done in two weeks as
the MG is our main car and we can't survive in the mini for long (full roll
cage, harnesses etc = not practical for shopping).

Scott