Re: Wire Wheel Conversion Advice

To: "Dave" <hearts@radiks.net>, "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Conversion Advice
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:28:20 -0000
What parts have you got for the rear?  The steel wheel axle is an inch or so
wider than the wire axle.  If you keep the steel axle and just fit wire
hubs - even if you use the so-called 'conversion hubs' - the tyres can
easily rub the outer arches on cornering particularly when laden.  The only
real way to do the job is to replace the whole axle - I speak as someone who
has tried both.

No such problems with the front, and the shims issue is nothing to do with
steel or wire wheels, it is the same for both.  You might like to have a
look at the web site below on shimming - select 'Spanners' and 'Front Hubs'.

As to which is easier, well, the front is lighter as you only work on the
hubs but care is needed with the shimming.  The rear is little more than
nuts and bolts, but when replacing the axle it is heavy and care must be
taken *not* to bump the input flange on a hard floor.  More likelyhood of
siezed parts at the rear - particularly the axle straps.  Undo the rear hub
nuts with the wheels on the car and the ground - you still may need a
breaker bar.  The nuts on the hubs are all right-hand thread, but make sure
you get the hubs on the correct sides of the car or the wheels will fall
off.

PaulH
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk