Ignition Light / Alternator problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition Light / Alternator problems
From: "Greg Bass" <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:54:19 -0500
I wrote last week about a "blinking" ignition light on my 78 'B. Well I have
found the problem and I was curious if anyone else had ever seen this. The
belt was in fact slipping. The root cause was the forward flange where the
alternator is mounted to the engine (not the adjusting mount), was
completely broken. I found this when I removed the rear mount bolt anfd the
adjusting bolt and the alternator came off with out me even touching the
forward mount bolt. This allowed enough movement of the alternator under
acceleration that the belt slipped only at those times. At idle it was fine.

I was curiousg if anyone else has had this piece break before or was this a
freak incident.

Greg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list