F1, opinions and a solution (long-ish

To: "MG NET" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: F1, opinions and a solution (long-ish
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:46:56 -0600
Good morning Gang,
   Seems like there is a split in the <vocal> List members' opinion
about including racing in the list banter.  Some have voiced that
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but MG related topics should EVER be
posted.  Others have suggested that as long as the off theme
posts stay small in volume that the 'delete' key works fine.  And
a few folks really enjoy it.
   Here's my take, and it's based upon another lister's comment.
Paraphrasing, he said, "The F1 thread has lasted a little longer this
time than it did last time it came up."  I ask, when was that?  The
answer is; Two weeks ago -- after the previous F1 race.  They
happen, with rare exception, every two weeks.  After the first race
two weeks ago, there were a few posts on Monday and Tuesday.
After last weekends race there were posts on Monday and Tuesday.
A few more comments have been made today but those are mostly
about our behavior on Monday and Tuesday, not the race, per se.
   My question then becomes, modified from yesterday's idea,
should a few posts over two days out of 14 days, about a race, be
censored from this list?  One lister stated, without doubt, "Yes."
He went on to say, "Nothing that is not directly MG related should
ever be posted."  Most others have said that deleting 8-10
messages over a couple of days is no problem.  HOWEVER, doing
so makes the list a forum for discussion between friends -- a
situation that some find objectionable.  I prefer to think of this list,
or any car list, as a place to share motorsport.  If it acceptable to
post a note that says, "Man, I had a great drive in my MG yesterday"
is it not equally acceptable to post a note that says, "Man, I really
enjoyed seeing Arrows kick McLaren's butt yesterday?"  Granted,
one has the letters "M" and "G" in it but both notes are about
"elation", not MG cars.  Should both be outlawed?
   I am frustrated by all of this but also recognize that we should
never expect to achieve consensus on this topic.  I suggest that
we abide by the plan that irritates the least number of listmembers.
Perhaps on the Monday after a race, it would be acceptable to
post one note that would then spawn off-list discussion sparing
the 'sensitive ones' our excitement.  Thoughts?

Best regards,

Rick Lindsay

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list