Carb size, was: Re: Engine sizes.

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Carb size, was: Re: Engine sizes.
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:18:30 -0600
David Councill wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Where do you get the intake manifold for the HS6 carbs? I just put a set of
> HS6 carbs on my TR7. Since I will be selling the TR7 as soon as convertible
> season starts here, I might pull them back out and put the Strombergs back
> in, particularly if I can find a better use for them (like on my B).

David, Bob, et al.,
   The goal needs to be "make it breathe" not to put the biggest carb on
that you can find -- not that that is what you are doing.  I type rhetorically
but what is included here is VERY important to MG "B" <and other small
displacement> engines.
   In general, bigger carbs make more power but they also push the peak
in the torque curve way up the engine speed band making for a 'peaky'
engine.  If that is your goal, go big.  If you want to flatten the torque curve
out, as the expense of a little power, a smaller carb setup is better.  Are you
racing flat out on open tracks with most of your time at WOT or are you
hill climbing at mid band speeds -- or are your talking about a street daemon?
It is VERY easy to build horsepower into an engine and end up with a car that
will hardly idle and that you have to absolutely FLOG just to get away from a
stoplight.
   Two cents please.

rick

///