Re: MG 2001

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG 2001
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:48:20 -0600
The biggest reason for failure of a T type generator is the lack
of lubrication, and most this instances it is using grease
instead of oil.  Why does the Shop Manual say grease when you
soak the bearing in oil before lubrication.  Also, the MGA
manuals specify oil and they use the same rear bearing.  Go
figure.

We've never carried the generator or the fuel pump.  Of course
the TD has twin pumps ala MKII.  We have carried the rest at
different times with the ignition stuff always along.

Blake

<<<Snip>>>
Bob Shaw wrote:

> We go on the road for extended trips regularly. We generally take the
> following: Ingition parts (points, condensers, rotors, distributor
> cap, fuel pump (generic variety that works both negative and positive
> ground, a generator, an alternator and each driver is responsible for
> their own water pump. We spread the spare parts throughout the cars.
> We take these pieces as they are about the only ones that will leave
> you walking. We did once have a generator pully brake, so if yours
> are older you may consider taking one of these. This is about all
> that will leave you walking.
>
> Have fun and enjoy the trip!
> --
> Bob Shaw