Re: Paint Prep question

To: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint Prep question
From: Gonaj@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:16:01 EDT
matttrebelhorn@netscape.net writes:

> ?  Or should I stop worrying and just leave the black "primer" on the
> outsides of these parts until they go to the painter?

If these are recently manufactured panels that balck "primer" is what is
termed "E coat".  It is there to protect them from rust and as a better
adhesion layer than conventional primer.  Let me rephrase that last part.
The E coat binds better to the bare metal than the body shop's primer and the
body shop's primer will bond better to the E coat than it will to bare metal.
The manufacturers know what they are doing and auto paint has come a long way
from the laquer primer and acrylic paint days.  Your body shop/paint guy
should be able to explain all of this to you so that you don't work against
him.

George

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list