Re: Help - oil leaking onto exhaust manifold !

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help - oil leaking onto exhaust manifold !
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:08:11 -0500
I've had good results with the local quarter car wash (high pressure wand,
do-it-yourself car washes).

Leave the engine running and optionally cover the distributor with a plastic
bag. Stay away from the alternator, dizzy and air cleaner inlets as much as
possible. Use the water only selection, it should strip the engine clean,
although you may loose some paint if you pause too long in one spot. My
local wash has an engine cleaner chemical selection, but I've found the
stuff is pretty caustic as it discolored the cad plating on the heater
valve.

Don't worry about all the steam and if the engine starts to run rough give
it a minute to recover, it's most likely water in the dizzy and it should
evaporate out. If you kill the engine, you'll need to dry out the dizzy.

Jeff
'70B

> Would love to hear some opinions and experiences with this part of the
> procedure in more detail.
> What do you use to clean the engine , if you can't take it out?
> What would degreaser do to you hoses and wires?
> Which degreaser?
> Should the carbs be taken off and the holes plugged?
>
> So many questions from the un-initiated :-)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list