Re: tuning info wanted

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: tuning info wanted
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:53:32 -0500
Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
>   First thing I'd do is spray some oil on the throttle shafts while the
> engine is idling.  If it slows way down the shafts are worn and the
> reason it idles so fast is that they let air in under the throttle
> butterflies.  If this is so, you may as well leave 'em alone until
> you're ready to replace the shafts.  Otherwise, find the idle speed
> screws and back them out equally to reduce the idle speed.

   CR is right on track here, as usual.  Should you find that this is
the problem the correct solution is of course, to replace the bushings
in the carb body and possibly the throttle shafts.  Typically, the
soft metal bushings wear more quickly than the steel shafts.
However, there is a temporary fix that will help get you by until you
'fix them right.'
   Measure the throttle shaft diameter then go to your friendly local
hardware store and buy four or five thick felt washers with an
inside diameter a little smaller than the shaft (for a snug press fit)
and a tube of vacuum grease; You know, the stuff they use in labs
to seal glass fittings.  Vacuum grease is designed specifically to NOT
be mobile so that it doesn't get into the experiment or equipment.
   Anyway, saturate the felt washers with vacuum grease then grease
the throttle shafts where they exit the carb body.  Slide the washers
up against the grease just snug enough to hold the grease in place
but not so tightly as to squeeze it out.  Reassemble the linkage as
per stock setup.
   The grease will do the same job as the 'test oil' recommended in
CR's note except that the grease stays in place.  This is a temporary
patch, not a repair.  The last car I did this procedure to never got
repaired as the 'patch' lasted beyond the ownership life of the car. :-]

Best,

rick

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list