Re: mgb vs spitfire

To: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb vs spitfire
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:41:12 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/01 1:11:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
saidel@camden.rutgers.edu writes:

> Can someone or ones generate a comparison of either a CBB (which I am in
> the lookout mode for) or a RBB (which I might be loathe to replace because
> it is my 1st) with a Spitfire?  I guess I am at least looking for info on
> price, potential availability, ease of repair, ride, and anything else
> you might have to say.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DON'T DO IT!!!  I considered a Spit B4 I found my Midget.  The Spit is closer
to the Midget than a B.  You should compare MGB to Triumph TR4.

The early Spits had swing axle rear suspension that can get you in a lot of
trouble in spirited driving.  No good for autocross.  The later 1500
Spitfires have the same engine as the 1500 Midgets, but the Spits were
heavier.  Stick with MG.

That said, I would take almost any car made in 1967...well, Brit car that is.
 (Even a '67 Spit, if it were in really good condition.)  1967 is my favorite
year for cars in general.  It was the last year before emissions and safety
standards kicked in to ruin performance.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport