Re: Early MGB rear panel

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early MGB rear panel
From: S & M Barnes <barnesms@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:59:00 -0500
Thanks Kelvin, roughly what I was thinking, I shall now attack the panel
with a little more confidence that I am doing it right!

Shame the new panel is of a lighter grade of metal than the old one though,
they just don't make things like they used to.

Cheers

MikeB

> Mike:
>
> Early rear panels had lap seams that were lead filled.  The later
> cars had a 90 degree flange that was spot welded from the inside and the
> joint was left exposed.  All factory replacement panels are made using the
> later tooling, so although they have the correct features, the seam is not
> correct for early cars.  It's one of those little known facts that part
> numbers don't tell you.
>
> You will want to trim the new panel and make lap seams that can be
> readily MIG welded, leaving the original leaded lap seams intact.  The
rear
> seam can be butt welded if you are very careful, then the inside dressed.
> Expertly done it will be very difficult to detect the repair.
>

> good luck.
>
> Kelvin.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list