Re: Oil Pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:12:07 EDT
In a message dated 03/05/01 8:13:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Now under racing conditions you may not be looking at the pressure gauge
> anyway, in which case oil pressure failure would be well accompanied by a
> large red warning light and very loud buzzer.  Just a thought.

I've probably mentioned this one before, but we had a doofus racing a 914
Porker with us (old days - before vintage racing), who figured he had a great
idea to protect his engine. He hooked his low pressure warning light to his
ignition so that the engine would kill if he lost pressure and failed to
notice it.

The only problem was the on I mentioned before - small diameter capillary
tubing for hooking up the pressure gauge does not allow adequate gauge
reactivity - he thought he had lots of pressure, but was in reality starving
it in the long corners. In fact in his first really long corner, at full
chat, all hung out, cornering as hard as his little Teutonic chassis would
allow, this demon tweak promptly killed his engine, and he buggered off
backwards, slowly spinning, much to the amusement of all that knew what was
going on.

Bill S.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list